HISTORY OF THE RANCH
Preserving & Sharing
During the 1960's and 70's humanity began a mass migration to big cities for the opportunities and excitement that the cities presented- abandoning farms and ranches and the lifestyle that accompanied them. Some of these abandoned farms and ranches were subdivided and developed into neighborhoods and malls while others were left to return to nature. But something was lost when we left for the cities- our connection to the land.
In 2010, feeling the need to reconnect with nature, our family made the first purchase of old ranching land near the American River. Over the next few years, we purchased additional neighboring properties to improve access, making up what is today the 1000-acre Lotus View Ranch. Much of the land had been neglected and was overgrown. Wagon trails from the 1850’s that had long been lost were found and restored. Dense brush that was once kept in check by herds of grazing animals and naturally occurring fires was thinned. Old barns, fences, houses and ponds were restored, and many new trails were established. One of the ranch homes, held together with square nails and plaster, was built in 1851 and still stands today.
Today we operate a small agricultural business while focusing on preserving these beautiful lands. To minimize the impact on the land and nature we offer a limited number of public events each year.